top of page


Under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP), families can hire foreign caregivers.However, the caregivers must:provide care on a full-time basis (minimum 30 hours per week); work in the private household where the care is being provided; and meet the requirements set by Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC)/Service Canada and Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC).

Caregivers for Elderly/Children/Special Disabilities


Children under 18 years of age


This category could include positions such   as:Home child care providers, often called nannies – lower-skilled(National Occupational Classification (NOC) code 6474 - Babysitters, Nannies, and Parents helpers)


Caregivers for people with high medical needs, elderly persons, 65 years of age or over; or people with disabilities, a chronic or terminal illness


This category could include positions such as:


  • Registered nurse or registered psychiatric nurse – higher-skilled(NOC code 3152

  • Registered Nurse) Licensed practical nurse – higher-skilled(NOC code 3233

  • Aides, Licensed Practical Nurses)Nurse aide or patient service associate – lower-skilled (NOC code 3413 – Nurse  Orderlies and Patient Service Associates)

Home support worker – lower-skilled (NOC code 6471 – VisitingHomemakers,

Housekeepers and Related Occupations)


Note: Foreign Caregivers working in Canada may be eligible for permanent residency, provided they meet CIC requirements.


For more information on the pathways to permanent residence for caregivers, and the specific occupations that are eligible, visit CIC.


Employers must meet the program requirements for the Streams for High-wage or Low-wage Positions including paying the prevailing wage for the occupation in the location where the work will be performed, and conducting the necessary recruitment and advertisement requirements for the stream.

bottom of page